A lot of churches looking for church pews try to get creative and look for used church pews from other churches that are upgrading to new church pews. When you’re on a tight budget, this often seems like a good idea. After all, something used should cost less than something brand new, right? Well, not always.
Used church pews can be the same cost as new church pews or even more expensive. It depends on a few factors you need to be aware of before deciding that used church pews are for you. When you’re considering buying used church pews, you need to ask these questions:
- How soon do you need them? The search for the right used church pews can take years, not just months!
- Can you see the used pews? Unlike new church furniture where the quality is assured, used pews are as-is. If you don’t take a very good look at them before you install them, you might find that your used church pews weren’t such a bargain after all.
- Are they the right size? Making sure they fit in your church, through doors and up stairs, to get where you’ll need them and that they fit well into your space is important. Buy them without measuring and you might be in for a big surprise!
- How much life do they really have left? Inspect the quality of the padding and pieces closely. When very old church pews are in need of new padding, it might be impossible to do without damaging the pew. It might be a good idea to take along someone who knows about upholstery if you’re going the DIY route.
- Are they second-hand or through a dealer? Some church pews are restored by a company but most people buy used church pews directly from the previous church. If you’re buying them through a dealer, be sure to ask what assurances they can give and what work, if any, they do on the pews.
- How much will it cost to get them to you? Moving church pews on your own with volunteers might be the most cost effective route but that isn’t always possible. What equipment will you need to rent? How much will it cost in gas? Do you need to pay sales tax? These are all issues you need to think about before jumping on some used pews.
High quality used pews can quickly become just as expensive as brand new church pews, especially when you figure in all of the extra costs you might not have thought of yet. Instead, call us for an estimate and we’ll work with you to get a low price on high quality pews.